Friday, December 28, 2007

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street


Some people find my excitement overwhelming. They somehow don't think a film is worth getting excited over. Well perhaps they should open their eyes. Please see Sweeney Todd, as if I have to tell you. Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, Stephen Sondheim, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, AND Sacha Baron Cohen. What a collaboration, and how could any respectable film-goer miss it? Throughout the film I experienced 5 different moments of cinematic ecstasy. (It's something like the tablets only induced by a film-maker, not a backwoods trailer park drug production company.) I wanted to clap, I wanted to scream, but most of all I wanted to burst, this movie felt so damn good. Scratch that, this is no movie; it's a perfectly orchestrated masterpiece of cinematic mastery, with Tim Burton as your host.
Take a look at the trailer, and see it. That is all.

(The photo credit is not mine, obviously, I think Tim Burton gets credit?)

No comments: